Sunday 1 January 2012

Statement Of Intent, Theme 1, Old Moor

Pro forma for task 1a)                        Statement of intent

Candidate Name: Roger Bone       Theme: Nature


Title of the theme: Old Moor

Intentions/purpose of the photography to be undertaken


I have decided to select Nature as one of my two themes and will prepare a portfolio of images to submit at the end of my course.  I will need to select a minimum of 10 images for each portfolio that follow a theme which will be published on my internet blog.  I will also present hard copies of the images in a Black Leaf, landscape, photo album.My intention is to visit the reserve on a number of occasions and hopefully in my final image selection be able to show all aspects of the reserve. I hope that the images will tell a story about the reserve, capturing the scenery and birdlife as well as the people that visit Old Moor.

 

Reasons for selection of theme (including inspiration from the work of others)


I have chosen Nature as my first theme as I have a genuine interest in nature and being a keen ornithologist I am a member of the RSPB.  The RSPB have a number of nature reserves all over the UK and one that I visit on a regular basis is called OLD MOOR.  The reserve is located in South Yorkshire and was originally one of the 32 coal mines in the Yorkshire area , this particular mine (Wath Main Colliery) was closed on the 25th March 1988.

The reserve is a not only a great place to see a wide selection of birdlife and a lovely landscape but is also a great day out for people of all ages including families.  There are several footpaths at the reserve making it very easy to get around from each of the bird hides on the reserve which all offer great vantage points and perfect photo opportunities.

During my research into Wildlife Photography I came across a couple of people who's work I really liked, one of these being Pavel Zoharec.  Pavel has a collection of images where he has managed to capture some amazing birdlife, the images are really sharp and freeze the movement of the birds.  I think capturing birdlife is a very challenging form of photography as birds do not sit waiting to have their photo taken which means you do have to go out and look for them dedicating a lot of time to this.  It's clear from Pavel's pictures that he has done just this, he has manged to capture several birds of prey which are extremely difficult to get close to in the wild.   Pavel would have needed to research into these birds knowing their hunting grounds,  favourite roosting spots and breeding grounds.

Philip Price is another who's images are crsytal clear, sharp and freeze the movement brilliantly.  Philip is an award winning photographer with a range of awards and has also done a 3 part mini series for the BBC.  Looking at his images its clear that he has dedicated a lot of time in capturing these birds and from the images you can see that Philip likes to capture the birds during flight and does this brilliantly.


The photo imaging equipment and medium that will be used and why


I will be using my Sony A230 DSLR camera and will be shooting RAW files, some of these may be edited if needed using Lightroom and Photoshop CS5. 

I will be using an 18mm to 50mm lens which will be used when taking landscape shots of the reserve and also a telephoto 70mm to 300mm which will be used to get close up shots of the birds on the reserve.

In order to experiment with shutter speeds and aperture I will also use a tripod to avoid any blur where possible.


Techniques that will be used and how they will help convey the visual message


Whilst capturing images of the birds on the reserve I will be using a fast Shutter speed in order to freeze the movement of the birds.  I will be using various shutter speeds ranging from 1/200 upto 1/400 all pending on the light conditions at the time.  I will also use slight slower shutter speeds of approximately 1/60 to 1/80 to capture some of the movement in the birds wings.  I will be capturing the birds using a zoom lens in order to get as close as possible.

As well as capturing images of the birds I will also be taking pictures of the reserve in order to show all aspects of Old Moor.  I will do this by using a large aperture of approximately F/22 and a tripod to avoid any blur/shake.

I will be using photomerge in Photoshop CS5 to produce a panoramic view of the reserve.


How light quality can be used to help convey the visual message


I do not intend to add any additional flash lighting to my images using only natural light to convey a more realistic image.  I will need to be aware of the weather conditions and will need to adapt the camera settings to compliment these using ISO, Aperture and Shutter.


Safety considerations


I will ensure that the correct footwear and outdoor clothing are worn each time I visit the reserve along with a packed lunch and a flask of tea.  I will respect the surroundings and the wildlife that live on the reserve by walking only on the footpaths that have been created by the reserve staff and volunteers.

As the reserve can be quite busy with other visitors I will also ensure that the equipment I will be using does not cause any accidents.  Keeping this stored away when not in use and when in use ensuring I do not block any entrances or leave equipment or bags on the floor where people could trip and fall over these,

No comments:

Post a Comment