Wednesday 8 February 2012

Presenting Photo Images

Presenting Photo Images - Assignment 211

Roger Bone
Subject - Theme 1, The story of Old Moor

Task 1a - Presenting Images

For this assignment I am basing the following information on the presentation method chosen for Theme 1 (the story of Old Moor).

The final images selected for this theme were displayed in an A4 Black Leaf, landscape photo book.  The images were also published on this blog with full details of the images in regard to why they were taken and the camera settings used.

Task 1b - Produce a written account

Why have you presented your work in this manner:

Whilst working on this theme I decided that I wanted my images to tell a short story in photographs of the nature reserve that I had chosen to photograph.  I want my images to tell a story and thought they would be best displayed in the form of a book.  This way the images could be placed into the book in an order that would flow and hopefully guide you through the reserve as you turned each page onto the next image.

I have chosen a Landscape style photo book as my images have all been taken in landscape and I think these will sit better oppose to putting portrait onto landscape and vice versa.


Describe the process for presenting your work:

Once the final images had been selected they were cropped in lightroom using an aspect ratio of 7 x 5.5 as this was going to be the print size used.  I cropped using this aspect ratio in lightroom so that the final images
would print to size and to avoid any areas of the images being cropped during the printing process.  I chose this print size as the photo book being used was A4 landscape and I wanted the area around the photograph to act like a frame.  I did consider printing in 8 x 6 and after a few sample's arrived I decided the smaller prints looked better having a larger framed area around the print.

The first set of printed images were placed into the book using blue-tak and once the images were all in place I decided I wanted to add a border to make the images stand out against the black background.  The images were then edited again in lightroom adding a white solid vignette (rounded corners) to the images, however when these arrived I still wasnt happy with this.  I then decided that I wanted a solid square edge border on the images and again re-ordered these.

Being much happier with the square edge borders the images were placed into the photobook placing one image on each right hand side page.  I did not use the left page as I wanted only one photograph to be viewed at a time.

On deciding the order in which the images would be placed into the book I placed the final image selection onto a large black sheet of paper.  I then  looked at the content of the images along with the colours and displayed them in a way that the colours and content would flow.

The images did not need to be cut to size as they were ordered to the correct print size including the borders, these were placed into the centre of each page and stuck down using a pritt-stick.


Describe other presentation methods considered and give an explanation against using these methods:

Whilst researching other methods of presentation I had considered using the other methods of presentation, I have listed these below with the resons why these were not used.

A collection of Key Rings / A collection of Mugs

Images are small and can sometimes loose there impact if too small, this method would have also proven to be quite expensive.  Using this method would have also made it difficult to keep the images in a certain order to be able to tell the story that i was able to by using the photo book.

Postcards - affordable but would have been loose and again I wanted to keep the images in a certain order.

Mouse Mats - very expensive and the images would not look as sharp and clear as I would have liked and set out to achieve. 

Calendar's of various sizes - this was an option I did consider very much but decided I wanted to have glossy, sharp clear prints and from having made calendars in the past dont think the print quality is as good as actual prints.  This would have also restricted the number of images I would be able to present.

Video with background music - I like this idea a lot and have made several vidoe's from photoghraphs, however I wanted a firm object that I could show to anybody at any time.

Picture Mounts - This is another idea I liked a lot and have decided to use this to present my second theme.

Photobook - I have produced many photobooks using Blurb and again I dont think quality is as good as printed images on glossy photograph paper.  Another concern with this option is that it is an expensive option and if I wasnt happy with the book it wouldnt have been so easy to change my mind as I did and re-order in a way that I have been able to using prints which are much cheaper.



What health and safety considerations did you observe:

Whilst editing photographs and doing other PC work I have ensured that I am seated correctly, meeting workstation safety standards.  During this time I also ensured that regular short breaks were taken and that the work being done was varied.

When using glue to stick the images into the photo book care was taken when purchasing this to ensure it was a standard non-harmfull solvent.

No comments:

Post a Comment